Thursday, February 24, 2011

Light vs. Darkness

The word "cave" or "caving" is not a term I use on a daily basis. In fact, when I think of a cave I generally think of Phantom of the Opera and Batman. I know, very random. When I found out I would be going caving and learning what caving therapy looks like, I was a little apprehensive. However, I believe I walked away from my caving experience understanding more of who God is and who I am in light of Him.

We headed out to Canon City, CO on a Saturday morning. The cave we would be going into was called Fly Cave. It was interesting to compare what I expected the cave to be and what it actually was. Tim (my supervisor and our guide) pulled off onto a dirt road in the middle of no where and this is what it looked like...

 Then, we put on our helmets and headlights and walked about a mile to the cave. As we arrived at the small opening to the cave, I began to be fearful. Not only did the cave have an opening that seemed impossible to fit through but it also had a lock on it. I quickly understood how this could be a perfect place to help someone overcome fears and anxiety!

As we ventured into the cave it was dark and eerie. Tim made us turn off our head lamps and sit in the dark. It was pitch black. Despite how long we sat in the dark, our eyes never adjusted. Why? Because there was absolutely no light coming through. However, when only one person turned on their headlamp, we were amazed to see how much light it gave off.

As we continued to maneuver through the cave, I was amazed at how comfortable I became. I even began to venture into smaller openings that were more challenging to get through. I felt like I was a body contortionist! More importantly, I was overcoming my fears of the unknown.

In Psalm 27:1-3 David says, "The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? When evildoers came upon me to devour my flesh, My adversaries and my enemies, they stumbled and fell. Though host encamp against me, My heart will not fear. Though war arise against me, In spite of this I shall be confident."

In the midst of darkness, it is easy to become fearful. Often times, it paralyzes you. What if I get stuck? What if this doesn't turn out the way I want to? What if I get hurt? Then, we come to the sobering reality that we don't have to remain in the dark. We aren't stuck. There is light in the distance if we would only move forward.

Going caving allowed me to see this analogy in such a tangible way. Yes, trials will come my way. Yes, it becomes easy to fear the unknown. But what can I do now that will cause me to overcome fear? I believe David sums it up in Psalm 27. The LORD is my light and salvation. Whom shall I fear?

I am happy to say that we made it back to the light safely and here are some pictures that our supervisor took to remember the incredible experience!

 Traveling to the cave!
 Coming out of the cave!
 Yay for light!

 Notice the dirt? We were filthy when we came out.
This was the awesome group of girls that went with me. We felt pretty accomplished afterward.:)


2 comments:

  1. Wow. This is awesome! I've always wanted to go into a cave like that! Pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so cool! I highly recommend it...but make sure you have guide.:)

    ReplyDelete