Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Being Still

Ever stop to think why nothing is so loud as silence? In this day in age, silence is a rarity. We live in an age of constant noise. So much so that we do not even fully understand what it means to be still before the Lord.

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to do a "stillness experience" with my internship. I know, I have an amazing internship. Basically, we all headed to Woodmen Valley Chapel for an afternoon of stillness. Our supervisor Tim, gave us three hours to be still before the Lord. The only stipulations were that we must turn off our cell phones and Ipods. He gave us an article entitled, The Surprising Rewards of Silence to help direct us and then we were free to be still before the Lord. For me, this was the most humbling experience. I wanted to share just a few things the Lord taught me during this time.

We've all heard the passage, "Be still, and know that I am God" but do we really understand what David was saying? As I began to read over this verse, I looked up what the word "still" means. Still means to stop striving, let go or relax. For me, this gave the verse a whole new meaning..."Relax and know that I am God". It was then that the Lord began to convict me of my restless heart.

Why are we so afraid to be quiet before the Lord? Is it because we want control? Or maybe it is because we are fearful that we will realize our total depravity. A. W. Tozer once said, "Very few of us know the secret of bathing our souls in silence." We fool ourselves into thinking that we are in control. But in reality, we are not in control. Being still before the Lord causes us to relinquish all control.

In Tim Sanford's article he asks a thought provoking question, "Is Christianity just words on onionskin paper? Or do we want something more, something real and living?" Knowing God and being still go hand in hand. True Christianity stems from knowing God personally. So what can be gained from sitting before a God we cannot see? The very things we try to get elsewhere but cannot. We gain wisdom, humility, peace, faith and intimacy.

So I challenge you to be still before the Lord. Let Him speak to you. Just as Job says, " I am unworthy-how can I reply to you? I have put my hand over my mouth...I have no answer-...I will say no more."
(Job 40:4-5)

1 comment:

  1. Amen Sister. Amen. I'll keep you updated how my silent time with God continues to grow.

    ReplyDelete