Friday, April 15, 2011

Justice for All Outreach: Reflections

Hurting people hurt people. As we began the day on the Auraria campus, I quickly saw this statement portrayed. A flood of emotions swept in as people approached the huge JFA exhibit. The reality of abortion was displayed for all to see and the responses ranged from sorrow to vexation. Needless to say, it was an exhausting day. Nonetheless, I believe I walked away from the JFA outreach with a deeper desire to loose the chains of injustice and set the oppressed free.

After an hour of dialoging with students, my friend Aimee approached me and asked if I would go with her to talk to a rather large guy standing close by. No joke, this guy looked like Vin Diesel. Naturally, I was a little skeptical. What if this guy is pro-choice? He could knock me out with his pinkie! Thankfully, Aimee was sensitive to the Holy Spirit's prompting and we went over and began to talk with him. Ironically, this guy was a giant teddy bear. As we stood with him, we could see the tears behind his sunglasses. He was broken. There are no coincidences. 


Aimee and I stood there heart broken as we heard Eric's story of his girlfriend contemplating abortion. He had just found out this weekend and now he was standing in front of an 8 week picture of a fetus in tears. She wouldn't return his calls and refused to see him. He so desperately wanted to keep this child. 


Phew! What a tough situation. It is hard to see hope in the midst of darkness. However, God was there! Aimee and I were able to encourage Eric to not be passive and to take a stance for the life of this child. We suggested writing her a letter and he agreed that he would. Then, we were able to pray with him in the middle of a campus where Christianity was non-existent and relativism was rampant.  God showed up, He is so good! 


We were able to exchange e-mail addresses with Eric and hope that he will keep us posted. We haven't heard the result yet but are continuing to pray that Eric's girlfriend would choose life. Would you join us in praying for him and his girlfriend? 


I believe I could sum up the JFA Outreach with the words of Isaiah, "The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, Because the LORD has anointed me To bring good news to the afflicted; He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to captives And freedom to prisoners" (61:1) . We are called to be a voice to the voiceless, to set the captives free. Why? Because were once enslaved and in darkness but God intervened and brought us into His marvelous light! 

No comments:

Post a Comment